1965, the 59th Texas Legislature authorized the State Board of Education
to establish media centers throughout the state. Two years later,
the State Board of Education divided the state into 20 regions,
assigning each media center to begin operations and serve in each
region. In 1966-67, Title III of the U.S. Elementary and Secondary
Education Act provided funding for start-up costs associated with
establishing supplementary educational centers. Each regional center
received a Title III planning grant of $67,524. Additional Title
III funds were received through cooperative agreements with districts
in the region. These funds were used to develop the Regional Educational
Service Centers as we know them today.
60th Texas Legislature expanded the Regional Service Centers' services
and designated the roles of each service center in coordinating
educational planning for the region. Additional funds were not appropriated,
so the centers operated on funds derived from media services and
federal Title III planning grants, which amounted to about $85,000
1984, the Texas House passed Bill 72, which directed the Regional
Education Service Centers to work closer with the Texas Education
Agency and school districts to raise the quality of district programs,
and enhance uniformity and consistency in district operations.
January 1992, the State Board of Education adopted revised rules
for the operation of the Service Centers. Under these rules, the
commissioner of education participates in the selection of and approved
the hiring of executive directors, annually evaluates each executive
director's performance, and approves each center's operating budget.
In 1997, the 75th Legislature reauthorized the existence of the
Regional Education Service Centers by passing Senate Bill 1158.